Tuesday, July 9, 2013

After Alabama, JDR drove me in an epic rainstorm to a small farm in Independence, Kentucky where I spent the remainder of my three week trip to the eastern USA. Kentucky was so many things. Gorgeous. Wet. Hot. Cold. Comforting. Sweaty. Muddy. Relaxing. Inspiring. Insert a Jake joke about adjectives being on wholesale at Costco.

I went to Kentucky to visit my sister who is currently living on the most wonderful farm for a few months as an intern. The owners of this farm, B & M, are hilarious, kind people who take in travelers in exchange for work. I wasn't necessarily visiting under such obligations, but the second I got there, I knew I wanted to do whatever I could to help. This is the little house I lived in with Noonles for five days and six nights. I lived on the left side. She lives on the right. We shared the apartment comfortably, happily, pretending to live together like we always planned. She even put bottles in her windowsill, though they weren't colored like we used to talk about when we were kids. Side note: I stole a few of these photos from Noonii, with her permission of course. But she has more on her blog. Especially in the post that is her version of our Kentucky event-ings [yep, I did that].

The rest of the farm:

Day one had me cutting herbs and packaging them as herbal infusions for the CSA. Noonles and I talked a lot about the designer CSA we want to have when I eventually buy us a farm, though we argued over that farm's location as we require both land and proximity to a university that will hire me.
The garden from which I cut all my herbs.
Packaging herbal infusions for the CSA! Step by step.
Cutting celery, also packaged for the CSA.

On day two, M taught us how to make coleslaw in her kitchen with fancy ingredients like kefir and greek yogurt. She and I also planted okra and squash seeds, and then she had me use epoxy to glue together some dishes she bought at Goodwill so we could make a garden fairy sculpture.
M & B's beautiful house.
Making coleslaw dressing.
My okra seeds, which I hear have now sprouted!
Fairy garden sculpture for M.

Other things: One day Noonles said my hair made me look like Shiva, so she made a collage to prove it. I think that was the same day we all ate lunch together in the main house. Which was the day after M made us black raspberry ice cream out of kefir. Also, it flooded on the farm and M took me in the gator down to the place along the water where they used to have bonfires only to find it had become a lake. And I found an inch worm best friend.
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles

B gave Noonles the day off on my third day in town so she and I took a taxi to Newport, then a trolly to Cincinnati for a day of hipster adventures. We ate the tastiest chicken and waffles at a Belgian restaurant, we wandered Over-The-Rhine, the hipster neighborhood, we went to an art museum hotel called 21c, we went to the Contemporary Art Center and did the most hilarious things, some of which resulted in me falling over on the floor and crying. We had fancy drinks at a bar in OTR before we walked back to the bus stop to catch the 30x to Kentucky.
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles

PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles
PH: Noonles

Day four, I woke up super early for me and weeded the fuck out of the high tunnel. Though of course Noonles did most of the work, beautified that place, turned it into something brand new.

& later that day, AS pulled into the dirt driveway, camera in hand, while I continued to work and package for the CSA. I don't have any photos for the evening and morning that followed because I relinquished that responsibility for the day, choosing instead to see my life through someone else's eyes for once. To see myself through someone else's eyes. Wandered the river fell in watched water rush by from the safe distance of the tree swing sopping wet up to my waist with river water rain falling then not falling then falling again during our walk back to the house. I made cold hot toddies for Noonles and AS. Tried with AS's help to crawl up into the attic, found nothing I was looking for until my feet touched the ground again. It rained all night you could hear it through the window but it didn't drown out the sound of the river didn't make it much cooler in that small room until maybe 6am when it had rained long enough, been dark long enough to silence what was left of a restless sleep. What I remember most from my last morning in Kentucky is struggling to leave the bed while For Emma, Forever Ago played silently in the background. What I remember most from my last morning in Kentucky is saying goodbye to my sister in the hardly light of dawn. What I remember most from my last morning in Kentucky is driving to the airport, hand in hand across the center console, Bon Iver turning into Neutral Milk Hotel and this song running through my head...

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun
What a beautiful dream
That could flash on the screen
In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
Soft and sweet
Let me hold it close and keep it here with me

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me

What a curious life
We have found here tonight
There is music that sounds on the street
There are lights in the clouds
Anna's ghost all around
Hear her voice as it's rolling and ringing through me
Soft and sweet
How the notes all bend and reach above the trees
Oh how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through
Your mouth to make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet
But now we keep where we don't know
All secrets sleep in winter clothes
The one you loved so long ago
Now he don't even know his name

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all


When I arrived in Denver, this was waiting for me on the airport wall.

No comments: