Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I've always wanted to make a list of things to do in the summer, but I feel like when people make lists like that, they can go two ways. The lists can be motivating, but they can also be disappointing. Because if you make a list and you don't do everything on it, you might end up feeling crappier than you did before you even made a list to motivate yourself to do fun things. So I'm doing this backward. I'm making a list of things to do in the summer that is really a list of things I've done that would qualify as awesome on anyone's List of Things to Do Before Summer Ends. Soo...

List of Things To Do I Have Done Before Summer Ends [not that it's ending any time soon--this is only the beginning]:

1. Hang out on a rooftop. Not an LA kind of rooftop where there are parties and girls in tiny dresses. Well, those kinds of rooftops, too, but mostly just the normal kind. The kind you have to climb out a window to access.

2. Picnic in a park.

3. Drive around with the windows down, sunglasses on, blasting music, singing at the top of your lungs.

4. Wear funny summer outfits.

5. Read a book by an open window.

6. Paint your nails summer colors.

7. Visit a far away friend [for long enough that you take up the ENTIRE spare bedroom in the apartment].

8. Sit around a camp fire till the middle of the night. Make s'mores.

9. Go to a show. I mean, go to many, many shows. But go to at least one. Watch a man with skin like butter play the guitar for you.

10. Walk around outside often enough to notice all the little things. 

11. Bring someone flowers.

12. Eat strawberries and ice cream in setting sunlight.

13. Visit your favorite restaurants.
Coffee cake from Oasis Cafe.

14. Go on tiny daily adventures.

15. Go on EPIC weekly adventures.
Salt, not ice.
[A side note about this particular adventure: This was my other most perfect day in SLC. Woke up early, went to yoga, picked up my friends, drove the two-ish hours to the Spiral Jetty, waded in the lake, collected desert, drove home during the most magnificent sunset, stopped at Krispy Kreme to buy a box of a dozen donuts, arrived there just in time for free samples, which means we really got 15 donuts instead of 12, practically cried because of how happy I was about the cloud of sugar I was eating while I watching the real clouds catch fire above the mountains.]

As my summer continues, I'll continue this list. For now, all I have left to say is that every day here has been an adventure, every day I've gotten to spend time with different people who've come to mean so much to me over the past three years. And every day I wake up to a new surprise. Literally. Here are a few of the surprises:
We wanted to do a taste test.

No comments: