Saturday, March 30, 2013

This #2

All of my This today was either created by me or found by me out in the world. Even though I've still got 200 pages left of Proust and even though I'm still reeling from my reread of The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, I took a walk around my neighborhood today and found inspiration. My intention was only to find an iced chai latte and maybe the band Starfucker at Intelligentsia, but I found the following instead [or, rather, in addition].

Low to the ground, on Sunset Blvd near Myra Ave.

My boat shoes, Intelligentsia's floor, and a quote from the movie Sans Soleil,
which I superimposed over the edited version of this old photo using a
series of PowerPoint, Picasa, and Instagram, because I know nothing about
graphic design and have to do things collage style. And let's face it,
I've gone mad lately. It's why I had to get off social networks. It's why most
everything I write is vague and includes references to goats and ghosts.
I am protecting myself. My madness is protecting me, insulation from
devastation. A fever of despair. 

I told you I would plant a tiny succulent garden. I found this giant blue
coffee mug type item at my local army surplus store, then headed to my
local cactus store [yes, I have one of those] for a few new cactuses and some
soil. The woman there and I put together this creation, after which I added
some cuttings of cactuses I already have at my house. Oh and I stole a cutting
from a cactus I passed on my walk home.

I've had several adventures this March, including my trip to Boston for AWP, my road trip to Northern California to visit my sister, my brother, Oakland, Berkeley, San Francisco, Davis, Harbin Hot Springs, Fort Bragg, Petaluma, Sebastopol, and Pt. Reyes, and yesterday's visit to Disneyland for my friend's 28th birthday. They've all been inspring, but I've had so much work to catch up on this month because of absence from my quiet apartment that I haven't been able to update about these things yet. Those updates are coming. If there's one thing that keeps me alive, it's movement, even when that movement is stillness.

As a bonus This, here's the new art that's up at Sunset Junction today:
upper right: new small tile from my favorite artist
upper left: Casper, my first childhood friend, my companion in border crossing
upper right & lower left: two new pieces from my favorite artist
wall mural, light post, teddybear hanging from telephone wire

No comments: