Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When your love moves to Berlin, it is September. Or rather, it is October, but for you it is September since that is when you parted on a subway train near downtown Los Angeles, stealing one last kiss, fighting for time against closing train doors.

When the end of the year finally shows its face, it's a face of loss, it's a face that is a hole where a face should be, and your love is in Berlin, in the snow, and you are in Buenos Aires, almost but not really next to the sea, and it is 95 degrees and humid, and you are praying for rain. And everything you've lost is still and always gone.

When your love reappears, it is Los Angeles that holds him, between palm trees and ocean air, it is the light of never ending summer that delivers him whole, more complete than you could imagine, than you could recall. And so you celebrate by taking him to the strangest hotel imaginable, where the lamps match the blinds and cause the dizziness of optical illusions. You still think maybe his presence is an optical illusion. You insist on taking photos in mirrors to test your hypothesis  You insist on taking photos in which you are both silhouetted by the setting sun so that you can better grasp your outline, together, against the infinite Pacific horizon.

When your love moves back to Berlin, it's because he's moving back home. You send him off with a milagro, a small pair of lungs, to keep him safe, to keep him breathing, to remind him of your lungs, which parenthesize your heart, which is his.

Itinerary

The Standard Downtown Hotel--

Venice Canals--

Hotel Erwin rooftop bar drinks with friends--


Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach--

Oysters. Santa Monica. A date night goodbye.

5 comments:

Al Brown said...

I was the shadow of the waxwing slain...

Anonymous said...

Me, I am from LA spending the summer in Morocco, i was drawing that picture, sorry if it freaked you out, by the way I don’t know if you’re a professional photographer but you have some amazing talent.
And honestly you kind of scared the shit out of me as well.

Ali Rachel Pearl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

No it’s okay I am the one who should apologize, I can see how weird it might of looked, and don’t put the picture back I don’t wanna freak out anybody anymore :p
I’ve found you by pure accident, I am an engineer I googled “satellites blog” and stumbled on yours in like the 4th page, no need to say that it was not quit what I was looking for but i was kind of intrigued so I kept coming back I guess I should’ve chosen another picture anyhow it’s none of my business but I just wanna say this:
One day maybe in a month maybe in two or three you’ll stop feeling down because of you’re ex and you’ll get a weird sense of freedom believe me it’s an awesome feeling, and this is coming from someone who lost his fiancĂ© 5 months ago “who I taught was the one” so you might not be okay now but that’s how it is you feel worse before getting better, he’s like a drug you need to get out of your system, thankfully I am clean now and so will you in the mean time the secret to speeding the process is being surrounded by your loved ones doing what you’re passionate about and a puppy won’t hurt xD anyhow I hope you’ll find someone who’s gonna fight to keep you in his life good luck and good night it’s 4 am in here .

Ali Rachel Pearl said...

No worries. And you're right. Moving forward...