Sunday, January 20, 2013

Tuesday, Tiny Brother showed up in Los Angeles. Drove from Oakland. I immediately took us to The Alcove since I had no food in my house. Then Trader Joe's. We watched movies On Demand in my living room. Whenever TB is around, there are always movies and there is always music. And breakfast, since he makes that every morning, unlike me who eats a bowl of cereal and consumes no coffee. He was appalled at my lack of any kind of device with which he could make coffee.

I made a little guest room in my "office" using my twin sized inflatable mattress and some sheets I bought after his arrival.

Things we did:

Saw Damien Jurado play at The Troubadour in West Hollywood.

Ate at Pho Cafe, an unmarked restaurant on Sunset Blvd that was full of light and hipsters and good pho and possibly Ricky Gervais.

Walked to Intelligentsia and wandered Sunset a bit. Saw the new art that has appeared since I left LA a month ago.

Drove to Moon Juice in Venice, then to Mendocino Farms, my favorite sandwich shop ever, in Marina del Rey.

Hung out at Marina del Rey beach for the sunset.

Stopped at Canal Club for happy hour while we waited out traffic.

Explored the old abandoned Los Angeles Zoo in Griffith Park.

Navigated traffic up to the Griffith Park Observatory, where we ended up exactly as the sun was about to set. I was really only there for the telescopes though. And there was a star party on the front lawn! So I saw Jupiter and the moon through telescopes. Have you ever seen the moon through a telescope?

Mexico City for chips, salsa, and margaritas  which were the only things I wanted in the entire world yesterday evening.

I cooked Brasilian food using the farinha de milho that I brought home from Brasil. It was super delicious and way better than I expected I'd be able to manage.

Between being in Colorado with my friends and family, traveling in South America, and this visit from my brother, I have spent almost the entire past 6 weeks with other people, 24 hours a day. And it's been wonderful and full of adventure, but I am more than ready to settle back down into my solitude. I'll have a few days of that this week, but I'm returning to Colorado on Friday to attend Jake's memorial services. February first will be my fresh start, my new year. I will return to the things that keep me sane: solitude, reading, yoga, quiet. And though I've never made resolutions [and don't intend to start now], I've started waking up earlier because of the six hour time difference between here and Brasil. And I've begun to reward myself for waking up earlier by taking a walk to Intelligentsia for a chai latte in the 78 degree California sunshine.
Because their chai lattes are amazing, and I find fantastic things along the way.

All that said, and with a spotlessly clean apartment, I'm now going to drink one of my Quinton isotonics, continue investigating Pale Fire, and focus on getting over this weird suffocating virus so I can have a peaceful few days before I head home, again.

No comments: