Thursday, November 29, 2012

Four [sets of] quotes/The scaffolding for this, my last week of November, my penultimate week of classes for the semester. You could construct my entire life in between these words:

1.
Isaak Circo: "Love defies reason." Dexter: "Nothing defies reason."
&
Dexter: "Everyone wants an Argentina. A place where the slate is wiped clean. But the truth is, Argentina is just Argentina."

--From Dexter, Season 7, Episode 8 ["Argentina"]

2.
"And I was bawling like a crazy person and just saying, 'What is this feeling?' And he's like, 'Benny, you're feeling crushed, like you're heart's breaking.' He's like, 'This is good. You're supposed to feel this. It's a little late.' And I'm like, 'Don't tell me how to feel! I want to go home. I don't even want to stay in Peru anymore.' And Parker just sat... I cried for hours. And Parker was just listening to me... And then he was the one that said, 'You imagine, Benny, feeling this but having someone reciprocating it.'"

--From This American Life, #450, Act 2 [a story about Benny, a gay Mormon from SLC whose first heartbreak is what compels him to come out]

3.
"Let's face it. We're undone by each other. And if we're not, we're missing something."
&
"For if I am confounded by you, then you are already of me, and I am nowhere without you. I cannot muster the 'we' except by finding the way in which I am tied to 'you,' by trying to translate but finding that my own language must break up and yield if I am to know you. You are what I gain through this disorientation and loss. This is how the human comes into being, again and again, as that which we have yet to know."

--From Judith Butler's Precarious Life

4.
"There was an inevitability about the road toward each other which encouraged meandering along the route."

--From Zadie Smith's July story in The New Yorker"Permission to Enter"

No comments: