Friday, June 15, 2012

Yesterday & today I've been in hardcore planning mode.

I'm planning my road trip through the desert to see land art of the American West. This trip is inspired by my two visits to Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty in the Great Salt Lake and Erin Hogan's book Spiral Jetta in which she makes a similar desert trip.

My intended stops are: Moab, Michael Heizer's Double Negative, Los Angeles [apartment hunting; see below], James Turrell's Roden Crater, Walter De Maria's The Lightning Field, and Marfa, TX.

This is proving more difficult than I imagined. First of all, The Lightning Field requires a reservation because you can only access the project via Dia Art Foundation's transport and they only allow six people per day because they drive you from Quemado, New Mexico out to a little six person cabin on the project property where you spend the night. I've been calling and calling about reservations but cannot get a hold of a single live person.

Another snag: I emailed someone at Roden Crater only to be told that the site is closed until completion, which isn't estimated to happen for "a few more years."Though I was told that if I made a sizable donation, I could potentially have access to a private tour. I'm guessing $50, which is all I can really afford to give, wouldn't be considered sizable by their standards. Or anyone's standards really. So I'm looking for something else to do in that area. Either the Grand Canyon or Sunset Crater National Park, where Roden Crater is located.

I have had some good news though. I found an incredible place to stay in Marfa. I'm staying in a camper that is permanently a part of a property called El Cosmico. I won't even try to explain this place, you'll just have to look at the website. I've got three nights there to explore the brilliant insanity that is Marfa. I've also had good luck finding a campsite in Moab [Devil's Garden Campground] where I can sleep in my car. And I've booked a cheap hotel in Overton, Nevada, which is the closest town to Double Negative. All that's left for me to figure out is what to do in place of Roden Crater [which includes where to stay that night], where to stay in Quemado, New Mexico, and what to do/where to stay that isn't Quemado in case I can't get a reservation at The Lightning Fields.
*

My other reason for taking this trip is so that I can find an apartment in Los Angeles, where I will be moving mid-August. I'm looking for places in Echo Park and Silverlake, preferably houses, guest houses, bungalows, or anything that has a yard, A/C, in-unit washer and dryer, and isn't an apartment building, though I can't rule out apartments entirely given my budget. I've been scouring craigslist, signed up with WestSideRentals, and have email updates with The Rental Girl. Other than that, I'm at a loss. But I will live here, just like I said I would back in February when my entire life was still up in the air. Just need to figure out how to make it happen.

No comments: