Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I've been going to Red Rocks for shows every summer since I was a kid. The first few shows were very much of my parents' choosing and included people like Jewel and Sheryl Crow. My first actual show was The White Stripes in August of 2005. I've seen Tom Petty, Oasis, Death Cab, Incubus, Cake, The Decemberists, Counting Crows, Iron & Wine, Modest Mouse, The National, The Black Keys, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Justice, TV on the Radio, Flight of the Concords, Foo Fighters, Sigur Rós, The Avett Brothers, and probably about five other bands I'm forgetting at that venue. Red Rocks concert season is one of my favorite things in the entire world. 

My current Red Rocks season started with The Shins last night. As always, we got there super early to get good seats. Ate hot wings and drank whiskey in line.

We were front row center.

Blind Pilot and The Head & The Heart opened and they were both great.

We ran into two guys we've been at the front of the line with before, but this time we got to talking and it turns out one of the guys and I know all the same people since we're both doing English PhDs. 
Westword took a photo of us.

Then The Shins played! The combination of that music, Red Rocks, our new friends, and summer air made for the most wonderful night I've had yet this summer.

No comments: