Thursday, April 12, 2012

I'm [not] sorry but I have to take a moment to brag about my amazing friends and their inspiring accomplishments.

Four of my friends accepted offers in outstanding graduate programs for the upcoming fall.
Two of my professors were awarded Guggenheim fellowships.
Several of my friends had books released in the last three months from a variety of presses.
Several more of my friends have won various awards and have been finalists for various grants since the start of 2012.
At least four of my friends have accepted job offers, even in this awful market.

The farther I get into this world of academia, the more the people around me accomplish incredible things. They inspire me every single day and I am forever grateful for their presence in my life. I don't know how we all found each other, but we did, and I know for sure that this is where I belong.

And none of the above even covers the things my friends outside of academia are accomplishing all the time in relation to their businesses, their goals, and their visions for positive change. Seriously. Fucking blows my mind. I can't tell you how many times I've received emails or seen facebook posts about friends who've written important articles in important newspapers, been published in amazing journals or by fantastic presses, been awarded prizes for so many different kinds of achievements and skills, been awarded money for various projects, been given glowing reviews by the most reputable of people and publications. It's overwhelming and in the best way.

No comments: