Thursday, May 19, 2011

My trip thus far has been experienced to the soundtrack of the following:

Lungs, Florence + The Machine
I Am Very Far, Okkervil River
"Exile Vilify," The National
"Calgary," Bon Iver
Rome, Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi

This is a pretty big change for me. Most of it at least. The last several years, I've gotten almost completely lost in the world of indie folk. Not that I don't occasionally switch to something a little louder with a little more bass. But folk is not where I came from. My roots are rock. And while these albums may not be just that, they're closer than I've been probably since the last time The Raconteurs released an album. This is good. This is a good change. Even if I'll always still come back to the heart-breaking beauty of something like "Exile Vilify."

Of course I'm also still waiting for the new Death Cab and the new Bon Iver albums... [Side note: I bought tickets to see Okkervil River at the Bluebird in Denver this June. And Ben Folds at the Ogden in July. Summer of music.]

Sometimes I wonder, maybe I could survive on music and travel alone.

No comments: