Friday, June 18, 2010

José Saramago died this morning. I am 2 thirds of the way through his novel, Death with Interruptions. I started it when he was alive and I will have finished it after he has died. I think he would find this incredibly appropriate.

“In the end we discover the only condition for living is to die.” - José Saramago

I also find this appropriate, but cannot believe that he will never release more of his genius into the world. I literally looked up a quick fact on his wikipedia page last night, which used the present tense "is" and which immediately, preceding the publication of his obituary, changed to past tense "was."

In other book news, Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk have released new novels this month. And I could care less. [Ok I care a little...]

No comments: