Monday, June 21, 2010

I am in Los Angeles and have been since the beginning of June. Here's a very small bit of what I've been up to.




This city is my paradise because, when I come here, I am always on vacation. I have the city and the beach and the sun and people I love. It has been a nice way to spend the first half of my summer before I go start my new life in Utah.

I just finished Death with Interruptions and am starting Julio Cortázar's Rayuelas. It's actually called Hopscotch, but I first heard about it from my beautiful friend Tayla when we met in Buenos Aires and she referred to it by its original language title. It appears to be the most unique book I will have read since maybe House of Leaves in terms of its narrative structure, so I am very excited.

Speaking of narrative, I am finally registered for grad school classes at the U of Utah and, in case I haven't already posted them on here, they are:
1.Genealogies of Narrative
2.Narrative Theory & Practice
3.Intro to Lit Theory
The first two are sort of one class, though in different time slots and taught by different professors. It is an overall study of narrative in the contemporary sense as well as an exploration of narrative through history and its roots. I've only heard from the professor of the second class thus far and he has provided me with our reading list. First up, Joyce's Ulysses. Given the bredth and density of the reading list for just that one class, I will be starting my reading early. Eep! But given that my BA honors thesis and desired critical concentration is in narrative theory, I am excited, to say the least. I mean, my favorite non-fiction book is Narrative Fiction: Contemporary Poetics by Shlomith Rimmon-Kenan [who I recently embarrassingly learned is a woman, not a man, thanks to a certain vice chair of the UCLA English grad admissions committee].

I can't wait to buy all my books and arrange them on my bookshelf with all my notebooks and supplies. I've always loved school supplies. Shocker. I also can't wait to chronicle my time in SLC with iPhone photos that I post here, much like I did during my time living in Denver.

Other things I am excited about re: [what I am now calling] my new life in SLC: yoga, studying more Spanish, spending more time outside [buying a new bike to replace the one I sold two years ago], and hopefully getting some sort of [non-paying] job working at U of U's lit journal. Though that might be a tough fight given that I am not a creative writing student. We shall see. Oh and I should probably also get some kind of paying job, you know, because my bank account is literally almost non-existent. Whoops.